Pinniger Finch offices are at no. 35, The Chantry. This is a 19th century brick house occupied by Henry Pinniger from 1819 when he moved to Westbury and set up in practice as a solicitor. The Chantry, the older wing facing the church, is a stone gable end with a two-light Decorated window probably dating from the late 14th century. The building was the principal house of the manor of Westbury Chantry, which estate belonged to the Precentor or Chantor of Salisbury Cathedral whose duty it was to oversee the choir and music in the cathedral. A renewing lease to Henry Pinniger in 1824 reserved the right of the Precentor to use the hall, parlour, best chamber and sleeping room for himself and 4 servants together with stabling for horses when holding court in Westbury.
On 29th January 1935 a disastrous fire in the early hours of Tuesday morning completely gutted the premises of Pinniger Finch, and a large number of legal documents including the ancient seal matrix of Westbury Borough, were destroyed. Within an hour of the alarm being given the Westbury Brigade had the fire under control. Trowbridge Brigade, having gone to Westbury Leigh by mistake, arrived later and were able to do fine work in completing the operation with their modern equipment. The cause of the fire is not known. As a result may documents were lost and still there are a few properties in the area that remain unregistered and where there are no deeds. The office now has two fire proof strong rooms
35 CHURCH STREET
If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:
+44 01373 823791 +44 01373 823791